Why would VSS change the checkout folder to temporary?
Mike Faynberg
2009-11-05 03:30:01 UTC
Hello everyone,

Recently we started experiencing a strange SourceSafe (Ver. 8.0 / VS2008 /
WindowsXP) glitch. When a file is checked in (I did not figure, what files it
happens with, and what does not). the Check Out Folder gets changed on its
own - and the new folder is a Folder for Temporary Files as defined in the
VSS options.
What could happen?

Thank you in advance,

Mike
Catherine Sea
2009-11-09 07:02:36 UTC
Hi Mike,

I've never encountered such problem. What steps did you took before
the issue happened?

Sincerely,

---------------------
Catherine Sea
http://www.dynamsoft.com
http://www.scmsoftwareconfigurationmanagement.com
Mike Faynberg
2009-11-12 00:23:01 UTC
Hi Catherine,
and thank you for your reply.
What happens looks like this. When a file is being checked in, the
SourceSafe sometimes needs to merge it - and in some situations it does it
automatically, not utilizing the user's input - just reporting that the file
was merged, and requesting the user's approval for saving the merged file.
When the user agrees to check in the merged copy, the Source Safe does the
job, but - again sometimes - it replaces the current file Checkout directory
with the one specified in the options as the temporary folder... At this time
no more details unfortunately.
Oh, by the way there is one more strange problem: it often happens that
checkin simply does not work. You choose to check-in, press the OK button -
and nothing - the check-in does not happen.
Any ideas?
Thank you again,

Mike
.
Mark Tolonen
2009-11-13 02:57:07 UTC
Post by Mike Faynberg
Hello everyone,
Recently we started experiencing a strange SourceSafe (Ver. 8.0 / VS2008 /
WindowsXP) glitch. When a file is checked in (I did not figure, what files it
happens with, and what does not). the Check Out Folder gets changed on its
own - and the new folder is a Folder for Temporary Files as defined in the
VSS options.
What could happen?
Are you using Visual Studio 2008 source control integration? Visual
SourceSafe 2005 requires the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update to work correctly
with Visual Studio 2008. This may be the cause of your problems.

-Mark