Critical - Error reading from file
languy
2003-12-05 12:53:00 UTC
Hi there,

We keep getting the above error when attempting to read:
- one particular folder in our project
- various of files in other folders.

If I run the Analyse VSS, I get the following:
Analyze Visual SourceSafe Version 6.0 (Build 8987)
Database analysis in progress @ 12/05/04; 1:49p.
Analysis complete @ 12/05/04; 1:19p
No errors or inconsistencies found.

We are using VSS 6.0 Build 8163 with VC++, Notepad and other text editors,
InterterDev on a Win2K server with Win2K and WinXP Pro clients.

It happens for all the clients, which are accessing the sourcesafe and even
when I'm using VSS locally on the computer where the VSS database is
installed.

Thanks in regards,
Jess
Joe Masters
2003-12-09 06:09:19 UTC
You seem to have the original build of VSS 6.0. You really should get the
latest service pack 6
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/ssafe/downloads/sp/default.asp) and try once
again. If after installing that and running analyze -f again doesn't help,
you may need to call Microsoft Product Support.

One other thing: check all components of your network. This doesn't seem
likely since all clients experience the problem. The best way to check this
is to see if the reading from file problem appears when you try the
operation on the same machine as the one where the database resides. If that
works, then check all the network components, starting with the NIC on the
computer where the database is.

Joe
Hi there,
Jess
languy
2003-12-15 15:02:48 UTC
Excellent, it seems to fix the problems when I installed the SP6
and ran analyze -f

Thanks for your help
Jess
Post by Joe Masters
You seem to have the original build of VSS 6.0. You really should get the
latest service pack 6
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/ssafe/downloads/sp/default.asp) and try once
again. If after installing that and running analyze -f again doesn't help,
you may need to call Microsoft Product Support.
One other thing: check all components of your network. This doesn't seem
likely since all clients experience the problem. The best way to check this
is to see if the reading from file problem appears when you try the
operation on the same machine as the one where the database resides. If that
works, then check all the network components, starting with the NIC on the
computer where the database is.
Joe
Hi there,